Saturday, November 10, 2012

Acupuncture for infertility

I started going twice per week to the acupuncture last month. Now I am going once per week because it was too heavy in our pockets and also Dr. Kim said that he needs to see more frequently in the beginning of the treatment and then later we can do it every other week.

Obviously I am not pregnant yet but I do feel differences. For example I went to my first acupuncture session right after I knew the IVF hadn't worked.  I was spotting really dark for several weeks and then the next day after the acupuncture my period finally came stronger instead of the constant spotting and I had mild cramps instead of the severe one I usually have. Well, that could also be because of the hormone treatment so I am expecting my next cycle to end to see if the results are consistent.

He places more than 30 needles around my body. I took a picture of my abdomen so you guys can see it. After inserting the needles he has a standing electric heater that he places right above my belly for the first 25 minutes and then comes check all the needles and move the heater to my feet for the next 20 minutes.




I also have needles in my head to treat my anxiety/depression. I think I am still anxious about the whole thing. How do we turn off that overwhelming desire of having a beautiful healthy baby? I am working really hard on that. I have been meditating more, trying to clean my head of thoughts at least once per day and trying to concentrate on the positive things of my life...

6 comments:

  1. I have to admit, the acupuncture looks painful. Do you feel more relaxed after a session? I've heard it is supposed to be helpful with so many things, both physically and mentally. They offer it at my fertility center and recommend it in combination with treatments as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all dear! When Dr. Kim is placing the needles sometimes I feel like someone is pinching me with their nails, you know? But it doesn't hurt at all and I leave the room flying... I love doing it but I think I will have to stop unfortunately... It's getting too expensive... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acupuncture will be a great help to balance the hormonal activities in your body. It can be expensive, but I believe that this natural method is better than the medication that some OB-GYNEs are recommending. I guess you won’t be instantly fertile when using the synthetic drugs, and you’ll be spending a lot on that also. I hope that you’re still having acupuncture sessions. I feel your depression of not having a child, but please don’t lose hope. The right time to have a kid will come to you. :)

    -Shan Salas-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for you kind words Shan.. I had to stop going to the acupuncture because we moved, but I am looking for a new practitioner and I will go back as soon as I can find one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you have balanced hormones, there is a possibility that your body will heal itself, since the processes in your systems are normalized. I know acupuncture is kinda expensive, but I know it will be all worth it. In case you haven't found a new practitioner in your new place, a physical therapist can also give you tips and exercises that can be very beneficial for you. :)

    FtLauderdaleOrtho.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are completely right Sienna, and even not knowing for sure what it really does to me or how it particularly help me to achieve my goal (pregnancy), I can't deny how wonderful I feel after each session, it almost cured my anxiety.

    ReplyDelete