Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My first acupuncture session

Today I had my first acupuncture session here in Virginia. As I promised I am going to try everything I find out there about endometriosis and infertility. It seems that many women feel that acupuncture has helped them. Even my RE said that she recommends acupuncture if you consider doing in-vitro fertilization. I haven’t got there yet. Before I move on to IVF I want to try everything else.

To be honest I still have mixed feelings about acupuncture. I guess I am one of those who only believe when they can see real results. Also, we are so used to the western medicine treatments that when we experience a different kind of treatment it feels weird or not effective.

However, I still remember how my grandmother had a kind of tea for everything and rely in massages for certain ailments. As a matter of fact, she had 8 children, beat cancer, went through heart surgery and still lived to the age of 95, reasonably health and conscious.

Going back to the session, the acupuncturist asked me a lot about my general health and others aspects of life, even about my relationship with my father. I choked up, but it gave me a sense that he knows what he is doing. My doctor never asked me this kind of questions. I feel like she is going through a list of things to do and not treating me as an individual. First sperm count, then blood test, HSG, Laparoscopy, Clomid, IUI and etc.

The practitioner prescribe me Pharm Max fish oil. In my individual case, it seems that fat might be an issue. My RE also mentioned that my weight is a little below normal. I didn’t pay much attention because my body has been the same for the last 10 years.

Acupuncture should help to improve the flow of blood and bring more stability and balance to my body. I guess I should see results soon, right?

2 comments:

  1. The needles used in acupuncture stimulate certain acu-points connected to organ systems, including the Reproductive System. It also helps in regulating stress and correcting hormonal imbalance, which is why researchers believe it to be an effective treatment to infertility. Have you found the results you are seeking?

    Regards,
    Lura Wiechmann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lura! I went to acupuncture with high hopes and I felt disappointed for a while. Then I found a new practitioner that I really felt was helping me. I am still not pregnant but I felt an immediate difference in my cycle and in my stress level. Unfortunately we moved and I had to stop the treatment, but acupuncture is my number one recommendation for anyone seeking alternative medicine. Even my cynical husband started believing it really works. Tip: A good practitioner makes total difference.

    ReplyDelete